In 1908 the Village of French was established covering the South ½ of Section 16 and the South West ¼ of Section 15. J.T. Dawson was overseer and Alfred Rogers and C.H. Goodrich were councillors elected in February, 1909. Carl H. Phillips was designated as secretary-treasurer.
On March 9, 1909, the name of French was changed to Clavet. The Village of Clavet however, was not to experience successful civic affairs. In October, 1909, W.C. Sutherland, Deputy Commissioner, recommended disorganization of the Village due to the fact that two council members had moved away, the Secretary-treasurer had resigned and the population was no longer sufficient to justify the status of Village. However, despite years of unsuccessful struggling with village affairs and severe chastising by Municipal Affairs, the Village of Clavet still existed in 1925 with a population of 9 adult males, 5 adult females, and 12 children. It also had buildings consisting of two elevators, one general store, one implement shop, a lumberyard, post office, dwelling house, and one church. This gave an assessment of $27, 850, mill rate of 17 and total tax revenue of $473.45.
On March 1, 1927, J.J. Smith, Deputy Minister of Municipal Affairs, disorganized the Village of Clavet due to too small a population and inadequate assessment to finance village affairs. Upon disorganization, the boundaries of Clavet had been altered. After, from 1927 to 1978, the affairs of Clavet were controlled and managed by the R.M. of Blucher. All the records and related information were kept at the R.M. Office which was destroyed in 1982 when their office burned down. Information about these years is, therefore, limited to what local residents can recall.
In 1964, Clavet became an organized hamlet of eleven families with a population of 39. The hamlet of Clavet elected three board members who made recommendations to the R.M of Blucher on the hamlet’s behalf. The hamlet was surveyed following its organization, and water and sewer services were installed in 1972-73 through the Family Farm Improvement Program at a cost of $14,689. There were 17 original connections to the system, plus the school. Ed Holobetz, the contractor, installed the original 2” plastic lines to carry water from the Sask. Water Supply Board System to all residents. Individual septic tanks served each house and the lagoon was situated near the present lift station. At the time of this writing, August 2010, Second Avenue and Queen Street are still served by the same system. Saskatchewan Highways paved Main Street, Queen Street and Second Avenue in 1972.
Two elevators which had been in operation during the early years burned down in 1967 and were not replaced. A third elevator was torn down and salvaged in 1968. The post office was operated by Jean Campbell out of her home at Queen Street and Second Avenue until her retirement in 1978. When I.E S. Confectioners opened in 1978, owned and operated by Irma Weisner and her daughter, Sandra Baumgartner, the post office was relocated in the store and operated by Sandra. Susan Yuzik became Postmistress in 1981.
Following installation of water and sewer, new lots on Campbell Place, named in honor of Jean Campbell, were developed. The new homes constructed between 1975 and 1979 brought increased population, tax revenue, and strain on the present lagoon system. In early 1978, the residents of Clavet petitioned for Village status and Clavet was incorporated as a Village on July 1, 1978 with a population of 95. The first council consisted of Mayor Bill Martin and Councillors Rudy Weisner and John Baumgartner. Ros Curnow was engaged as Secretary-treasurer.